5 Baby Registry Must-Haves & Essential Gifts for New Parents
When you’re preparing for a new baby, the list of everything you need before the big arrival is pretty lengthy: there’s the car seat, swaddle blankets, diaper bag, oh, and an enormous supply of diapers to pack it with, etc., etc., etc. But been-there-done-that parents will tell you that there are a few life-changing essential items that new moms and dads may not be thinking about. From a gentle, effective laundry detergent that’s safe for baby’s delicate skin to the crib-side item that can help prevent dry skin and stuffy noses, here’s a list of not-so-known must-haves to add to your baby registry.
1. A gentle laundry detergent
Baby skin is delicate and can be easily irritated by dyes, fragrances, and harsh cleansers. Wash your baby’s clothing and bedding in a hypoallergenic laundry detergent that’s formulated for babies and/or one that’s clinically tested and dermatologist-approved for sensitive skin. Here are two of our favorites to add to your baby registry essential items:
- Arm & Hammer™ Sensitive Free & Clear Liquid Laundry Detergent contains no dyes, perfumes or preservatives. This skin-friendly detergent is certified as free from the topmost skin allergens by SkinSAFE™, a program developed in partnership with the Mayo Clinic that uses clinical ingredient data to help parents find products for sensitive skin needs.
- Arm & Hammer™ Baby Detergent is pediatrician and dermatologist tested to be gentle on baby’s skin, yet it’s tough on baby stains. This hypoallergenic formula has zero phosphates, dyes, added preservatives, GMOs, brighteners or parabens and is made with ingredients that meet EPA Safer Choice standards to be safer for your baby and family. Plus, it has a fresh, cuddly, scent and cleans tough stains, even in cold water.
2. A humidifier
Because baby’s nasal passages are so narrow, they can get easily congested, especially in the dry winter months. Using a humidifier in the bedroom can help add moisture to the air, which is gentler on that little nose. Plus, a humidifier can help keep baby’s skin from getting dry in the cool weather months. Add a cool-mist humidifier to your baby registry (warm mist can pose a burn risk) and keep it on a high surface.
3. A waterproof crib mattress cover
Diaper leaks happen. Protect your crib mattress with a waterproof cover that fits snuggly under your fitted sheet. While you’ll still have to change the sheet after an incident (welcome to parenthood), spit up, throw up and blowouts won’t make it past the barrier to the mattress below. This item might not be glamorous, but it definitely makes the cut for a baby registry must-have.
4. Side-Snap Baby T-shirts
Your baby registry may be full of cute graphic onesies to dress your little one in the days that follow their birth. But here’s a pro parent hack: dress baby in side-snap t-shirts, washed with gentle detergent. Romper-style undershirts can irritate the healing belly button, so keeping the area open with a cropped tee is a smart idea. Plus, your sweetie will need a lot of diaper changes in those early days, so having easy access is key.
5. A bulb syringe
Say what? Hear us out. While babies tend to get stuffed up, they’re not exactly skilled nose-blowers. This tool fits into itty-bitty newborn nostrils, sucking out the gook and bringing your little peanut comfort. To get at the boogers even better, use a saline nasal spray/mist specifically designated as safe for newborns to loosen up the mucus. A bulb syringe can easily be added to a gift basket for new parents along with some other essentials and must-haves from the baby registry list.
Removing Baby Stains from Clothes and Bedding
A new baby in your life brings new laundry routines and new types of stains. Check out these tips and tricks for all your laundry challenges.
- How to Remove Common Laundry Stains – Get tips for blood, coffee, grass, grease, ink, ketchup, sweat, and wine and how to make a powerful (and chemical-free) laundry pretreatment with baking soda.
- Tips for How to Wash Baby Clothes – Get answers to your questions about detergent, washer cycle, water temperature and more to get your baby clothes fresh and clean.
- 7 Laundry Tips & Tricks for Laundry Routine Efficiency – Learn some laundry hacks to keep socks together, deodorize, and fold clothes, plus how to help prevent fading and deal with wrinkles!