No matter the time, place or season, follow these guidelines when working out:
- Quench Your Thirst: An obvious rule, but still important! Drink 8 to 16oz of water beforehand to prevent dehydration, and then again afterward to allow your muscles to properly recover and avoid soreness the next day. If you’re sweating a lot during your workout, make sure to drink enough water to make up for your body’s water loss – typically a glass every 15 minutes.
- Grab Some Grub: Make sure you eat something within 30 minutes of finishing a workout. Even a banana or handful of pretzels can hold you over until you get home to make a meal. A post-workout meal is crucial to restore your glycogen levels and prevent muscles from breaking down.
- Slather on Sunscreen: No matter the time of year, if the sun is out, you need to wear sunscreen. While it may not seem necessary in the winter, snow can reflect the sun’s rays directly into your face, and exercising outdoors in high altitudes increases the risk of UV exposure.
- Quit Wearing Cotton: Wear breathable synthetic fabrics that draw sweat away from your body. Cotton doesn’t dry as quickly, which can leave your skin feeling wet and uncomfortable throughout your workout.
- Stay Fresh: When you sweat, it breaks down the natural bacteria in your armpit, which creates odor. Use an antiperspirant deodorant that’s tough enough to fight odor and wetness to keep you feeling fresh, like ARM & HAMMER™ ULTRAMAX™ Solid Deodorant, which provides long-lasting protection to keep you confident during your workout, and after.