To help soothe itchy skin, try the following tips:
- Moisturize your skin with “unscented” cream free of additives, fragrances and perfumes.
- Add a cup of oatmeal to your lukewarm bath water and soak for 10 minutes to soothe the itchy skin.
- Topical anesthetics that contain pramoxine can help.
- Menthol or calamine acts like cooling agents. Alternatively, store your moisturizer in the refrigerator to achieve a cooling effect.
- Use “Fragrance-free” lotions, soaps and detergents.
- Wear cotton loose-fitting clothes. Wool and other rough-feeling fabrics can irritate your skin, causing itching.
- Avoid extreme temperature changes. Maintain a relatively cool, neutral humidity environment in your house. Use a humidifier during winter if you are prone to dry skin and eczema.
- Use a hypoallergenic, fragrance free, dye free laundry detergent, like ARM & HAMMER™ Sensitive Skin Free & Clear. It is detergent specifically formulated for sensitive skin and dermatologist tested, to help you avoid irritation or worry of itchiness altogether.
- Reduce stress, as stress can make your itch worse.