Why is Aluminum in Antiperspirant Deodorants?
You probably think of aluminum when you reach for the foil to cover your leftovers or take your soda or seltzer cans to recycling. The aluminum in antiperspirants is an aluminum salt, often aluminium chlorohydrate. This ingredient has been used for more than half a century to control sweat and odor in antiperspirants. Other aluminum salts are found in vaccines, water treatment and antacids, among countless other uses. The aluminum chlorohydrate in antiperspirants absorbs into your skin and temporarily blocks your pores, preventing sweat from reaching the surface. Some people prefer a product that stays on the skin’s surface and doesn’t interfere with your natural perspiration process. If you’re looking for an alternate way to deal with sweat and odor, switching to a deodorant without aluminum may be right for you.
How Does Deodorant Without Aluminum Work?
Deodorants do not contain aluminum salts to control sweat. They control odor by going after its culprit: the bacteria that lives in your armpits. Sweat itself is virtually odorless, but it helps foster an environment that allows bacteria to grow – creating a foul odor in the process.
Deodorants contain specific ingredients to help make your armpits less friendly to bacteria. When you reduce the amount of bacteria, you also reduce the source of the odor. In addition, most deodorants contain fragrances that help neutralize and mask odor with a fresh, clean-smelling scent and baking soda or other ingredients to help absorb wetness.
Tip: If you are looking for a deodorant without aluminum, make sure that the package does not say the word “antiperspirant.”
Are there Benefits to Switching to a Natural Deodorant?
There can be some benefits to switching to a more natural deodorant, but if you have been using an aluminum-based antiperspirant, there can be an adjustment period.
Some benefits of using an aluminum-free deodorant may include:
- Allowing your body to sweat freely using its natural process.
- Avoiding aluminum in your beauty products.
- Unclogged armpit pores.
- Less armpit irritation.
- Increased natural detoxification of the body through sweating.
- Odor masking and prevention with pleasant, often natural fragrances such as lavender, citrus and rosemary.
- Moisturized healthier armpit skin if you choose a deodorant with aloe or other moisturizing ingredients.
Some potential drawbacks to consider when switching to a deodorant without aluminum:
- More potential wetness and sweat under your arms.
- A temporary, up to 4-week transition period of increased odor as your pores unblock and the bacteria levels under your arms change.
Arm & Hammer™ Essentials™ Deodorant with Baking Soda
ARM & HAMMER™ has an entire line of personal care products called Essentials™ that are made with more natural, plant-based ingredients and are free of parabens, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfate, aluminum and artificial dyes or colorants.
There are a variety of scents and sizes of aluminum-free ARM & HAMMER™ Essentials™ deodorants to help keep you feeling and smelling fresh. Or try an unscented formula when you don’t want your deodorant to compete with other perfumes, lotions, beauty or hygiene products.
ARM & HAMMER™ deodorants without aluminum contain natural baking soda to help absorb and fight odors for 24-hour protection. Try one of these ARM & HAMMER™ deodorants to help defeat underarm odor and sweat.
- ARM & HAMMER™ Essentials™ Fresh Rosemary Lavender Solid Deodorant: Enjoy 24- hour odor protection from plant-based ingredients free of parabens, aluminum or colorants.
- ARM & HAMMER™ Essentials™ Coconut Geranium Solid Deodorant: Contains no aluminums, parabens or phthalates and fights odor with plant-based extracts and baking soda.
- ARM & HAMMER™ Essentials™ Unscented Solid Deodorant: No artificial fragrances and free of aluminum and other ingredients you want to avoid but packed with odor fighters and moisturizers.
- ARM & HAMMER™ Essentials™ Juniper Berry Solid Deodorant: Aluminum-free with a fresh clean scent and even more odor protection from natural plant extracts and pure baking soda.
- ARM & HAMMER™ Essentials™ Crisp Orange Citrus Solid Deodorant: Fight odor without aluminum, parabens or phthalates and discover 24-hour protection with a light sunny scent.