Make delicious homemade buttermilk biscuits that pair well with any meal. This simple recipe is easy to prep and takes only 10 minutes to bake.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt plus more to dust over top
- 3 tablespoons organic vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 450ºF.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and whisk together well for about a minute.
- Add in the shortening and use a fork, pastry blender, or your fingers to work the shortening into the flour until the mix starts to look crumbly.
- Add buttermilk and stir with a fork until combined. Do not overmix. The dough will be soft.
- Flour a surface well and plop the dough in the middle. Flour the top of the dough and carefully shape into a rectangle about ½ inch thick.
- Cut the biscuits with a floured biscuit cutter, cookie cutter, a drinking glass, or a wide-mouthed jar. Do not twist the cutter into the dough; just push down and then up.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg with a bit of water. Brush tops of biscuits with mixture and sprinkle with salt.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet and bake for 10-11 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden.
- Serve immediately!