The Love Sugar Cookies are the perfect cookies for Valentine's Day or to show someone that you care about them. Add a message to a provide a personal touch.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 stick (½ cup) salted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup shortening
- 2 cups (240g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Egg white
- 9-10 tablespoons water, room temperature
- Edible ink marker
- Food coloring
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, Baking Soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then the vanilla.
- Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until blended. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, take a quarter of the dough and roll it to the approximate thickness of a nickel.
- Using your cookie cutter, lightly flour and cut your shapes out.
- Place them on a cookie sheet and bake for approximately 11-12 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool on a cookie rack. While the cookies cool, make the icing.
- Mix icing ingredients together (confectioners’ sugar, egg white, and water) until consistency is smooth and add food coloring as desired.
- Use a butter knife to spread on cooled cookies and let icing set. Use edible ink marker to write messages.