Moms are truly the greatest, so let’s make this a Mother’s Day she’ll never forget. All it takes to create this fun cactus jewelry holder is easy-to-make Baking Soda clay, some paint, and a ton of fun.
- 2 cups Baking Soda
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Hot glue gun
- Acrylic paint
- Modge Podge
Directions (ADULT SUPERVISION REQUIRED*):
- Recommended Method*: combine Baking Soda, cornstarch, and water together in a large frying pan and place over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until the mixture comes together. The goal is to get as much liquid out at possible and create a dough that is soft and pliable but not sticky.
- Microwave Method*: combine the Baking Soda, cornstarch and water in a microwave-safe bowl for about 40 seconds. Remove and stir. Microwave for another 40 seconds and stir. Continue microwaving for 40 seconds and stirring until the dough feels dry and soft enough to be kneaded into a smooth dough.
- There should be enough dough for 3 small or 2 larger sculptures. Divide dough until you have one portion for the plate and one portion for the cactus. (Note: If the dough feels dry, just knead it a little to rehydrate the dough.) To create a slightly curved plate, flatten dough into a wide, round disc that is roughly 1/4” thick and lay over an inverted 1 cup dry measuring cup or small bowl.
- Shape the larger piece of dough into a cactus shape, spreading the bottom so it could fit like the trunk of a tree on the plate. You can make the cactus out of one piece of dough, forming a “branch" or arm on each side (or roll the “branches” separately to glue them on later).
- Let the dough pieces dry out for 24 hours, turning the pieces every few hours to ensure even drying.
- Bake* at 200°F for 30 minutes.
- Use a hot glue gun* to adhere the cactus to the center of the plate. Let cool.
- Use acrylic paint to decorate your cactus jewelry holder however you wish. Let sit until completely dry.
- Add a layer of Mod Podge® over the cactus and the plate and let dry completely.