Steps to Successful Laundry
- Sort it Out:
Proper laundry sorting is important to prevent laundry problems like dye transfers and shrinking clothes. Read and follow care labels.
- Sort by Color:
Whites, light colors, similar bright colors, and dark colors.
- Fabric Type:
Delicate fabric, laces, lingerie, washable silk, etc. require gentle care and need to be washed separately. Lint-giving fabrics (chenille, terry, etc.) should not be washed with lint-attracting items, such as corduroy, permanent press, dark socks, etc.
- Soil Content:
Heavily soiled work or play clothes should be washed separately from lightly soiled clothes.
- Water Temperature:
Wash in hottest water fabric will allow. For white cottons, use hot water. Bright colors in cold. Follow directions on care label.
If uncertain whether the garment dyes are colorfast, find a hidden area of the garment (such as, the inside seam) and apply a "Pre-treatment concentration" of detergent. Allow to sit for 30 minutes and rinse. If color remains fast, proceed on whole garment.
Treat stains early. Fresh stains are easier to remove than old ones. Always test an inside seam for colorfastness.
Some stains may require a commercial stain remover product.
- Liquid Detergent: Pour ARM & HAMMER™ Liquid Detergent directly onto tough stains and rub in.
- Powder Detergent: Apply a paste of detergent and water, rub on stain.
Use for large stained areas or deep set soils.
- Liquid Detergent: Apply ½ cap of liquid detergent to washer with warm water, soak garment overnight, drain machine, then launder as usual
- Powder Detergent: Apply 1 full scoop of powder detergent to washer with warm water, soak garment overnight, drain machine, then launder as usual
- For heavily soiled garments, run through pre-wash cycle before laundering.
- Laundry Additives:
ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda Additive:
ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda:
- Liquid Laundry Detergent Booster: ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda helps your liquid laundry detergent work harder for you, because it helps maintain the optimal pH balance necessary for detergents to work well. Add 1/2 cup of Baking Soda to your wash with the usual amount of liquid detergent.
- Deodorizing Your Wash: To remove the stubborn smells in your clothes while you wash, add 1/2 cup of ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda to the rinse cycle. It neutralizes the odors, leaving your clothes smelling fresh and clean.
- Chlorine Bleach Booster: Use ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda to help your liquid chlorine bleach work harder. Add 1/2 cup of Baking Soda (1/4 cup for front-loading machines) with your usual amount of liquid bleach. Your whites will be whiter and your clothes will be cleaner and fresher.
OxiClean™ Stain Remover Products:
- The all natural laundry detergent booster that adds extra cleaning and freshening power!
- OxiClean™ Stain Remover products release oxygen to target the stains, rather than the fabric, removing many tough stains. Available in several forms: Powder, Spray, and in-wash additive.
- Color-safe bleach is the bleach choice for colored garments. Chlorine bleach for whites. Test garment for colorfastness by dipping a hidden portion of garment in bleach product for a few minutes. Use with hottest water that fabric will allow.
Do not put garments with a stain in dryer. The dryer heat will set stains and make them permanent. Repeat pre-treatment/washing techniques above. If this doesn't work, send garment to cleaners. Some stains, however, may be permanent.
- Try ARM & HAMMER Total™ 2-in-1 Dryer Cloths: ARM & HAMMER Total™ 2-in-1 Dryer Cloths soften, control static cling and give you the long-lasting freshness you'd expect from ARM & HAMMER™ Laundry Products.